Our Privacy Notice in plain English:
At the Discerning Collection we take your privacy and the security of your personal data very seriously and have such laid out the following privacy notice.
We will only gather and process your personal information in accordance with this privacy notice and in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation 2018.
This privacy notice provides you with the necessary information regarding your rights and our obligations, and explains how, why and when we process your personal data.
The Discerning Collection will, in strict accordance with the new GDPR, only use the data we hold about you:
- Lawfully and transparently
- Will be collected only in relation to your holiday and potential holiday requirements
- Will be up to date and accurate
- Will be kept securely and only for as long as necessary
What information we collect and how
The information we collect via our website, our emails, when you are on the phone with us, via social media (through facebook etc) and when you are on holiday with us may include the following:
- Any personal details you knowingly provide us with through forms and our email, such as name, address, telephone number etc.
- In order to effectively process credit or debit card transactions it may be necessary for the bank or card processing agency to verify your personal details for authorisation outside the European Economic Area (EEA). Such information will not be transferred out of the EEA for any other purpose.
- Your preferences and use of email updates, recorded by emails we send you (if you select to receive email updates on products and offers)
- Your IP Address, this is a string of numbers unique to your computer that is recorded by our web server when you request any page or component on the Website. This information is used to monitor your usage of the Website.
- Your email address and phone number when you make an enquiry via our website or on the phone
The information we collect when you book a holiday with us will include the following:
- Your title, name, email address, home or work address, the dates of birth of all travellers, driving licence if applicable to the holiday and any specific dietary or medical requirements.
- We collect your Passport number, the issue and expiry date, together with your birth date at the time of booking a holiday as we are required to provide this information to the airlines we use. They in turn need this information for Aviation Security purposes.
What we do with your information:
- We store this information in a secure file and this information can only be accessed by the relevant members of our operational team. We also collect your phone number, email address and home or work address in order to pass on relevant information concerning your holiday only to those agencies directly concerned with providing services for your particular holiday.
- Any personal information we collect from this website will be used in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and new GDPR applicable laws. The details we collect will be used to process your order, to provide pre and after sales service (we may pass your details to another organisation to supply/deliver products or services you have purchased and/or to provide pre and after-sales service) and in our case this is mainly to airlines, handling agents overseas and hotels and villas.
- in certain cases we may use your email address to send you information on our other products and services. In such a case you will be offered the option to opt in/out before completing your purchase.
- We will never share your details to anyone or any business that is not directly related to the providing of services for your holiday. We do not sell our mailing list to any other companies. Your information is stored in our secure computerised reservation system. All card transactions are made through a secure site hosted by our provider, Barclaycard.
- We may need to pass the information we collect to other companies for administrative purposes. We may use third parties to carry out certain activities, such as processing and sorting data, monitoring how customers use the Website and issuing our e-mails for us. Third parties will not be allowed to use your personal information for their own purposes.
- If you are travelling to Turkey, we need to send your personal data to our own staff and third parties outside of the UK and European Economic Area so that we can provide you with all aspects of your holiday.
- We currently do not have an online booking service so all the details currently collected will usually but not always be obtained through our phone calls with yourselves. We do provide an enquiry platform where we collect your name, telephone number and email address to assist us with helping you book a holiday with the Discerning Collection Ltd.
- In line with the new GDPR we will ask for your consent to email you Discerning Collection offers and news. We will never add you to our database if you do not wish to give your consent.
Your rights (with effect from 25 May 2018)
The law gives you certain rights in respect of the personal data that we hold, which you should be aware of and you have the right to request a copy of any information that we hold about you.
You have the right to obtain your personal data from us except in limited circumstances. Where we provide it, the first copy will be free of charge, but we reserve the right to charge a small fee for additional requests. In order to receive such information please send your contact details including postal address to the following address: The Discerning Collection, The Banks, 7A Truss Hill Road, Ascot, Berkshire SL5 9AL.
You have the right to require us to rectify any inaccurate personal data we hold concerning you;
Taking into account the purposes of the processing, you may also have the right to have incomplete personal data completed, by means of providing a supplementary statement or otherwise;
You have the right to require us to erase your personal data on certain limited grounds (including where they are no longer necessary for the purpose for which they were collected or where we rely on consent, which you withdraw, and there is no other legal ground for the processing);
Where we process personal data either on the basis of consent or contractual necessity, you provided the personal data to us, and we process that personal data by automated means, you have the right to require us to give you your data in a commonly used electronic format;
You have the right to object to our processing of personal data which we process on the grounds of our legitimate interests, as detailed in the paragraph titled “objecting to our legitimate interest processing” above;
You have the right to require us to restrict the processing of your personal data on certain grounds, including where:
(a) you contest the accuracy of the personal data and want us to restrict processing of your personal data while we verify its accuracy;
(b) the processing is unlawful, but you request a restriction of the processing rather than erasure;
(c) we (as controller) no longer need the data for the purposes of the processing, but you have told us you require us to retain that personal data for you to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or
(d) you have objected to us processing your personal data on grounds of legitimate interests and want us to restrict processing of your personal data while we consider your objection.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us using the details set out at the top of this notice.
Should you have any complaints or issue with our treatment of your personal data, you may lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ico.org.uk).
Cookies: an explanation
We may use other technologies that allow us to do similar things where more appropriate to do so. For instance we may use “tracking pixels” which are tiny image files that are used to track your movements across our website.
There are four main types of cookies – here’s how and why we use them.
(a) Site functionality cookies – these cookies allow you to navigate the site and use our features;
(b) Site analytics cookies – these cookies allow us to measure and analyse how our customers use the site, to improve both its functionality and your experience.
(c) Customer preference cookies – when you are browsing or shopping on our website these cookies will remember your preferences, so we can make your experience as seamless as possible, and more personal to you.
(d) Targeting or advertising cookies – these cookies are used to deliver ads relevant to you. They also limit the number of times that you see an ad and help us measure the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns.
(e) Third party functionality cookies. We include third party services on our website to allow you to interact with them whilst on our website. In doing so, such third parties pay place cookies on your device to enable their functionality. Examples may include LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
By using our site, you agree to us placing these sorts of cookies on your device and accessing them when you visit the site in the future. If you want to delete any cookies that are already on your computer, the “help” section in your browser should provide instructions on how to locate the file or directory that stores cookies. Further information about cookies can be found at https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-pecr/cookies-and-similar-technologies/